Per usual, thank you for such an amazing platform.
I have this setup:
---ASPxGridView, with detail row (call this "gvPeople")
--- ASPxGridView (call this gvNotes)
--one of the edit columns contacts an ASPxRichEdit
The data is housed in MS SQL. The ASPxRichEdit is loading/storing RTF into a column in the database.
When we run the app, we are able to expand the detail row of gvPeople, and see gvNotes grid. If we add a new (clicking "New" on the gvNotes grid), everything works perfectly -- the note is created, the RTF data is pushed into the database. If we leave and come back, all the data is displayed as expected.
If we go back to any Note that we've previously inserted, open it for edit, everything comes up - the RTF data is loaded nicely into gvNote's ASPxRichEdit control, and you can edit the note. But when you click "update" on the gvNote's editor, the bottom edge of the gvNote grid states:
The *note* has been modified by another user, refresh then try saving your changes again.
*note* here is the name of the column in gvNote which the ASPxRichEdit is controlling.
I don't believe this is a db concurrency issue because we manually handle that within our database/business logic , and our messaging is slightly different from that -- plus while stepping through the code, it never gets to the ObjectDataSource's Update method. Nor is this some sort of multiple-user issue (this is just me testing this locally within VS/IIS Express).
I'm very green with the ASPxRichEdit control, and I've seen there is a related "DocumentManager".
I really only need the RTF view/edit features of the ASPxRichEdit, nothing more - similar to just using a very basic HTML WYSIWYG .NET control.
-Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
-Is the ASPxRichEdit over kill for this application? (I would really like to use your control because while this is a web app, we also have a desktop app that's using the WinForm version of this control as well and I want both apps to be able to create/read/update these "notes" the exact same way).
-Is this related to DocumentManager holding the doc/file/data in some open state?
-It feels like the RichEdit "holds" or makes temp files somewhere. Is this true? Where are they?
-Anything else you can offer as an idea for what I should be looking at?
First, thank you for your uber fast response.
Second, I'm sorry that I submitted this ticket in my WinForms DevEx account instead of my WebForms DevEx account (facepalm).
Lastly, giant thank you and even bigger sorry for wasting your time!
...I was so twisted up about this issue that I didn't notice the gvNotes datasource's TypeName was directed at a similar, but wrong code resource. Because of this, the inserts were working, but not the updates. In short, it was little more than a typo. I still want to give you a "giant thank you", because you pointed out that the above error message was, in fact, not a DevEx error message. This ultimately led me finding the error message (which is concatenated) deep within our db, and then further backtracking to realize the ObjectDataSource's TypeName was pointed to the wrong set of resources.
Not a proud moment for me, ha!
Again, thank you and DevEx for your outstanding tools and unrivaled support!
Have a great day!