I am suggesting the creation for a Spreadsheet Control Module for XAF. Please vote it up!!!!
UPDATED by Dennis (DevExpress Support):
In general, accomplishing this task consists of several independent parts:
1. Configuring the SpreadsheetControl (WinForms) or ASPxSpreadsheet (ASP.NET WebForms) components according to their corresponding product documentation, demos, examples and articles in the Support Center knowledge base, because this is unrelated to XAF itself. For faster resolution on pure SpreadSheet component questions in the future, submit them under the corresponding .NET | WinForms or ASP.NET platforms directly.
2. Embedding a configured spread sheet control into an XAF View (or displaying a fully custom form separately using traditional approaches for each target platform), and feeding it with data from the application database or external sources.
Check out the following XAF documentation for this:
eXpressApp Framework > Concepts > UI Construction > Using a Custom Control that is not Integrated by Default
eXpressApp Framework > Task-Based Help > How to: Show a Custom Data-Bound Control in an XAF View (WinForms)
eXpressApp Framework > Task-Based Help > How to: Show a Custom Data-Bound Control in an XAF View (ASP.NET)
eXpressApp Framework > Concepts > Data Manipulation and Business Logic > Create, Read, Update and Delete Data
eXpressApp Framework > Concepts > Extend Functionality > Actions
If workbook files are stored in the database as a BLOB object, exposed via a business object property as byte array, the most appropriate solution is to implement a custom property editor that will create a suitable UI control and bind it to data stored in the object's property.
You can also find several integration examples provided by our users or us in the following tickets:
How to use the ASPxSpreadsheet control as a property editor in an XAF ASP.NET WebForms application, T475365 - ASP.NET
T428112, T371232 - WinForms
Typical use-case scenarios include, but are not limited to:
- previewing and editing FileData object contents (created using our FileAttachment module) inside the application (directly in DetailView or ListView) using a specialized spreadsheet control;
- displaying an Excel file from a file system or network in a DetailView or custom form;
- displaying an Excel file stored inside a binary database column in a DetailView or custom form;
- opening an Excel file preview coming from an arbitrary source after clicking on a navigation item;
- loading the spreadsheet component's content from an Excel template and fill its data based on database query results;
We would also greatly appreciate it if you describe your planned use-case scenarios or exactly how and for what your end-users are supposed to use spreadsheet control in your app.
If possible, attach screenshots, test samples and database to clarify expected results and user steps within the application UI. With that, we will be able to better understand your requirements and provide more specific solutions or consider improvements to our products for the future. Thanks in advance.
Search tags: Excel, spreadsheet, workbook, worksheet, XtraSpreadSheet, XLS, XLSX
Show all comments