Just discovered the "Click Identifer" navigation feature and like it a lot (reminds me of my Delphi days).
Unfortunately, for some reason, it can sometimes stop working. Without any change to the Devex options of course.
When it happens, restarting Visual Studio does not even fix the pb.
Disabling and Renabling the feature does not help either.
The only cure seems to be a reboot.
Don't know if it can be of any importance, but I often have two instances of VS running at once.
The behavior you described looks like a bug. But, I cannot reproduce it in our local tests. To help us better understand what is going on, please enable the logging feature and provide us with the corresponding message log. Please do the following:
1) From the DevExpress menu, select "Options...".
2) In the tree view on the left, navigate to this folder:
3) Select the "Message Log" options page.
This page level is Expert and will only be visible if the Level combo on the lower-left of the Options dialog is set to Expert.
4) Activate the "Enable logging messages" and "Log messages to disk" options.
5) Open a solution and work until the issue is reproduced.
6) Close the IDE and send us all log files generated in the following folder:
%AppData%\CodeRush for VS .NET\1.1\Log\
I hope this information will shed some light on this issue.
These logs do not contain any suspicious items that may cause this problem. This makes us think that other things are involved. As I recall, we were told about similar issues in the past, but we have not managed to stably replicate them on our machines. We need additional details from you. Please check whether the problem is peculiar to a particular project/solution or you can reproduce it with a brand new project (e.g. a new ClassLibrary/WebSite). In the former case, it would be great if you could provide us with a copy of the problematic project, so that we can try to reproduce the problem locally. In addition, please record a screencast to illustrate your steps in action. You can capture it using a free Jing tool from TechSmith.
In the meantime, we will review our code to detect possible culprits. I hope we together will solve this problem.
Please look at this screencast reproducing the bad behaviour.
Here are the main steps:
- Start VS
- New Winform project.
- Add some code.
- Verify Click Identifier is working => ok
- (Now the step that seems to trigger the pb) Switch to another application and switch back to VS.
=> Click Identifier doesn't work anymore.
I also attached my logs.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. We appreciate the efforts you have invested in researching this issue. I do not know if this is good news or not, but CodeRush works correctly on our machines if we follow your steps. However, we have managed to replicate the problem on one of our machines by following a similar, but a slightly different, scenario. Our developers have detected the culprit and made the necessary corrections. We are preparing a patched build so that you can test it on your side. I will be in contact with you. Please bear with us.
Here is the link to download the patched build. Please check whether the new binaries solve the problem at your end. We look forward to hearing from you.
http://downloads.devexpress.com/Share/IDE/120113/IDETools-126.96.36.19913.exe (57,242,624 bytes)
Is your intention to post an answer to your own question?
- If so, then proceed.
- If you simply wanted to post additional information, ask for further clarification, or to just say "Thanks!", please click Leave a Comment.
- If you wish to edit your original question, please use the Edit button in the Toolbox at the top right corner of that entry.